Engine - MIL ON/ Various VANOS Related Codes Stored
SI B 12 09 07
Engine Electrical Systems
This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B12 09 07 dated March 2010.
[NEW] designates changes to this revision
Service Engine Soon Lamp Illuminated: S85 - Various VANOS-related Faults Stored
E60 (5 Series) M5 from start of production
E63 and E64 (6 Series) M6 from start of production
The Service Engine Soon lamp may be illuminated in addition to a rattle and/or whining noise, which may be heard from the front of the engine.
Loss of oil pressure in the VANOS high pressure oil supply circuit will cause the VANOS units to ineffectively adjust the cam timing. The following
fault will be stored when a loss of oil pressure is detected:
27B6 VANOS oil pressure - No pressure
One or more of the following faults can also be found when loss of pressure is encountered. FC27B6 must be stored in the DME memory before
continuing with the procedure outlined below.
271A VANOS control, intake bank 1 - Actual value too high
271B VANOS control, exhaust bank 1 - Actual value too low
271C VANOS control, intake bank 2 - Actual value too low
271D VANOS control, exhaust bank 2 - Actual value too low
^ The internal VANOS oil supply line, P/N 11 36 7 838 669, may rupture, resulting in an internal leak in the engine crankcase.
^ Incompatible tolerances in the VANOS high pressure pump
2010 BMW M6 Convertible (E64) V10-5.0L (S85) Page 322
Perform Test Plan "B1215_M65VAR-VANOS control, cylinder bank 1/2", using ISID.
1. Once the test plan has been entered, select "3. Perform VANOS System test".
2. Select "2. Measure VANOS Oil Pressure".
The ISID Test Plan procedure and Repair Instruction RA 11 36 512 advises you to use the 2G 400 pressure transducer, which is superseded by the
IMIB 100 bar pressure transducer. Disregard the 400 bar pressure transducer statements.
IMIB 100 bar pressure transducer
Special Tool 11 5 361 (1)
Special Tool 11 4 310, pressure adaptor (2); refer to SI B04 07 10 for more details.
IMIB 100 bar pressure transducer (3)
IMIB 100 bar pressure transducer cable (4)
The IMIB 100 bar pressure transducer tightening torque is 25Nm.
[NEW] Connect the IMIB 100 bar transducer to port 5 (1) of the IMIB, using one of the auxiliary cables marked A5E01034069, supplied with the
[NEW] Oil Pressure Adapter Set P/N 83 30 0 495 130
This tool includes 11 5 361, 11 5 362 and 11 5 363.
Refer to SI B04 18 05 for more details.
2010 BMW M6 Convertible (E64) V10-5.0L (S85) Page 323
3. Measure VANOS high pressure", checking the oil pressure of the VANOS Adjustment Unit (S85), as directed by Repair Instruction RA 11 36
512 for additional details.
Please ensure that the pressure line is capped with the special tools required to eliminate a pressure leakage in one or both of the VANOS Units.
4. After the Test Plan has been completed, turn off the engine and record the residual pressure still remaining in the VANOS system after
approximately 10 seconds.
5. If the test plan does not complete successfully with a pressure reading above 60 bar, or the residual pressure bleeds off completely (zero bar) after
turning engine off, then proceed to step 7.
6. If the Test Plan completes with positive results above 60 bar, then the problem is either intermittent, or one of the VANOS adjustment units may
be defective. Do not replace the VANOS pump or pressure lines. Reconnect the high pressure line to both VANOS units, and return to step 5 above.
Select "1 Perform system test for VANOS". Follow the procedure in the Test Plan and replace the components as directed.
7. Refer to Repair Instruction RA 11 36 140, Removing and installing / replacing VANOS high-pressure pump (S85), to access the pump and high
8. The VANOS high pressure lines will be pressurized in the next steps, using the special tool 64 5 120 pressure hose and gauge set. Refer to SIB 04
24 08 for additional tool information.
9. Connect the nitrogen bottle (1) to the gauge set.
Pressure regulator (2)
Pressure decay gauge (3)
10. With the VANOS pump removed, install special tool PN 83 30 2 152 290 (1) on the high pressure line (2) with the existing seal rings and banjo
Torque the banjo bolt to 25 Nm.
2010 BMW M6 Convertible (E64) V10-5.0L (S85) Page 324
Connect the pressure line from the special tool (4). Refer to SI B04 40 08 for additional tool information.
11. Ensure that the regulator (1) is backed off and the flow shutoff valve (2) is closed. Open the nitrogen bottle valve slowly. Open the valve (2) to
the full open position. Note: the valve is shown in the closed position. Apply the test pressure of 8 bar (116 psi) slowly by turning the pressure
regulator (1) clockwise.
12. If leakage is heard inside the engine, stop immediately and check your connections. If all connections are correct, then the internal VANOS high
pressure line has ruptured and will need to be replaced. Do not replace the VANOS High Pressure Pump. If no leakage is heard, continue to step 16.
13. Once the test pressure of 8 bar (116 psi) is reached, close the valve (2). Back off the regulator (1) and close the nitrogen bottle valve.
14. Check the leak tightness of the testing apparatus and of the connections at the adapters. Monitor the pressure over a period of 20 minutes. The
maximum allowable pressure loss is 1.5 bar, giving a minimum reading of 6.5 bar. If there is a pressure loss of greater than 1.5 bar, this indicates that
there is a leak in the internal VANOS high pressure line. Release the residual pressure from the line, using the pressure relief valve.
15. Remove the internal supply line in accordance with Repair Instruction RA 11 36 109. Inspect the line for damage. If damage (1) can be clearly
seen, then replace the line with P/N 11 36 7 838 669 in accordance with Repair Instruction RA 11 36 109.
16. If damage cannot be clearly seen, then re-pressurize the system after the new line has been installed, to ensure that the problem has been
rectified. Refer to Step 12 for pressurizing procedures.
17. If no pressure loss is detected during the 1st attempt, replace the VANOS High Pressure Pump with P/N 11 36 7 837 595, in accordance with
Repair Instruction RA 11 36 140.
2010 BMW M6 Convertible (E64) V10-5.0L (S85) Page 325